compiling openssh 4.3.2p on Solaris 10

Greg.Dunkel at mail.cuny.edu Greg.Dunkel at mail.cuny.edu
Fri Sep 29 04:24:55 EST 2006

I used Sun's version of gcc, which is in two packages:  SUNW0gccfss and
SUNW0scgfss.  (Sun also has backported its version of gcc to Solaris 9).
These is the compiler that was used to build Open Solaris.

Before I tried compiling openssh, I built tcp_wrappers, zlib-1.2.3 and
openssl-0.9.8c.  My configuration line was

            ./configure --with-tcp-wrappers=... --with-ssl-dir=...
--with-zlib=...  --with-pid-dir=...

No trouble with configure and openssh built with just a few warnings on the
first try.

But the command

            make tests

terminated with a fatal error until I added 127.0.  to /etc/hosts.allow
which is a nice confirmation of tcp_wrappers support.

Now figuring out how to modify S10's startup process to accpet openssh is
my next adventure, but not relevant to this discussion list.  Depending on
how our introduction/migration to S10 goes, I will either install Openssh
4.3 or put the new and improved version of Openssh 4.4 on the servers.

/greg