Static build under Cygwin?

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 6 03:56:43 EST 2007

On Apr  5 13:23, Chris Rapier wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > You can't build statically against Cygwin and it's not intended to work.
>
> Just curious, is this by specific design or did it just work out that way?

It's by design.  Cygwin isn't just a lib with function calls, it's
providing lots of shared information between different processes kept by
the DLL in a version specific way.  Stuff like process table, /proc
emulation, pseudo ttys, named pipes, tape access and what not, all
depend on the shared information.

> > Please don't.
>
> Which is pretty much why I was looking for a way to build openssh
> against cygwin statically. I'll probably just end up trying to port the
> hpn patch over to putty (convincing people to move the globus patch as
> well might be tough though :) )

Yes, actually it might be better to use an already existing native
Windows application like putty for that.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader