HiddenStore option may be useful

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Apr 17 07:54:57 EST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Thomas Blank wrote:

> No, I do not have control over the clients. Jefferson's suggestion of
> using tunneled rsnc is therefore also not possible. Implementing this
> is much more work as using standard sftp-commands in a script.

Do you think that getting a new option into sftp, and somehow getting
all your clients (who you don't control) to upgrade to a version that
supports it will be easy?

Marking transfers as complete is a very old and repeatedly solved problem.
There is no need for weird additional options in sftp to support it. An
excellent solution has already been proposed: upload using a temporary name
and rename it once complete. Other solutions include uploading a tiny
(one, or zero byte) marker file to indicate that a transfer is done, or using
a file format with a verifiable checksum (zip, gzip, pgp, etc.)

-d