setting current dir of remote shell

Dave Yost Dave at Yost.com
Fri Apr 27 09:28:05 EST 2007

I have a command that will upload stuff from the current dir within a
local copy of a web site to the corresponding dir on the web server.
http://Yost.com/computers/yostupload

The command has a -l argument that will log you in to the server via
ssh.  So far so good.

But I would like this -l argument to set the current dir on the
remote host so it is the dir corresponding to the current dir on the
local host.

I can't see how to do that with ssh, and if I try something like the
following, ssh barfs.

#!/bin/zsh

ssh foo.com <<< cd website/bar/baz <& 0

Seems to me that it would be useful for ssh to have an optional
parameter that specifies an initial command to execute in the remote
shell before turning over control to the local user.  I would use
that option to run a cd command.

Thanks

Dave