Channel Patch

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat Aug 4 05:01:00 EST 2007

I've updated the channel patch including some suggestions. The main
difference is that I eliminated the channels[] array entirely (and the
attendant code to create the array). I did not, however, include linked
list pointers in the Channel struct. Mostly because its easier for me to
work with at this time. I expect I'll do it in the next iteration though.

Removing the channels array does mean that channel_by_id must iterate
through a linked list rather than doing an index lookup. I don't think
this will have much impact on performance in the majority of cases. On
the plus side, I think I can eliminate a lot of the NULL conditionals. I
haven't yet though.

Anyway, if anyone is interested the patches are attached. Any comments,
observations, or such not is greatly appreciated.

At this time this should still be viewed as development code.
Preliminary tests indicated that there were no performance hits and
there were some hints that in some situations it will provide a
performance improvement.

Chris Rapier