Channel Patch

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Wed Aug 8 06:08:28 EST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 03:29:06PM -0400, Chris Rapier wrote:
>>> The step optimization is really simple and still allows index
>>> lookups. The step works just like a pointer in the linked list.
>> I'm going to betray my ignorance here and ask for a bit of
>> clarification.
>
> Sure!

Sometimes its tough having been a history major :)

>> This isn't like a skip list but basically just a data element that
>> points to the next active channel.
>
> Well I interpreted it as a skip int that would be in the array.

Of course (slap forehead). I've been so focused on pointers lately
*everything* looks like a pointer.

I'll give this a shot and see how it works out. At this point, to be
completely honest, I don't expect it to make much of a difference. I've
got some 10Gb machines set back to back that I'm going to try this with
though. Even a marginal improvement there can add up over a terabyte
data transfer though.