OpenSSH 4.7: call for testing.

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Aug 16 08:05:21 EST 2007

Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Darren Tucker wrote:
>> Running the regression tests supplied with Portable does not require
>> installation and is a simply:
>>
>> $ ./configure && make tests
>
> On CentOS 5 on i386, I see the following warnings:
>
> mac.c: In function 'mac_compute':
> mac.c:131: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but
> argument 3 has type 'unsigned int'
> ssh.c: In function 'control_client':
> ssh.c:1475: warning: format '%lu' expects type 'long unsigned int', but
> argument 4 has type 'unsigned int'
> readconf.c: In function 'process_config_line':
> readconf.c:695: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
> strict-aliasing rules
> servconf.c: In function 'process_server_config_line':
> servconf.c:979: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
> strict-aliasing rules
> servconf.c:990: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
> strict-aliasing rules
> sftp.c: In function 'parse_dispatch_command':
> sftp.c:1031: warning: 'n_arg' may be used uninitialized in this function
> sftp.c:1030: warning: 'iflag' may be used uninitialized in this function
> sftp.c:1030: warning: 'lflag' may be used uninitialized in this function
> sftp.c:1030: warning: 'pflag' may be used uninitialized in this function

OK there's some warnings in there that we should look at after the
release.  (Actually someone sent in a fix for those "type-punned
pointer" warnings but it looks like that slipped through the cracks.)

> Make tests fails with the following:
> run test login-timeout.sh ...
> ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 4242: Connection refused
> ssh connect after login grace timeout failed without privsep
> failed connect after login grace timeout
> make[1]: *** [t-exec] Error 1

Does this error happen consistently?  Some of the tests are inherently
racy, and this is one of them.  There are "sleep" commands sprinkled in
strategic places but sometimes they're not enough.

Fortunately this is a relatively easy test to simulate:

run "/path/to/sshd -oLoginGraceTime=10s -oLogLevel=debug3-De -p 4242"

from another shell, connect to localhost port 4242 and type
"SSH-2.0-fake" followed by a newline.

Wait and see if the connection drops after 10 seconds or so, which it
should.

If/when it does, try logging in with ssh: "ssh -p 4242 localhost" and
see what happens.

Thanks.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)