SSH/SFTP from HP-UX to a Windows 2003 OpenSSH 3.8 -1p1

Larry Griswold lgriswold at ccsnh.edu
Sat Aug 18 03:30:48 EST 2007

We have used OpenSSH version 3.8-1p1 on our Windows 2003 servers for the
last several years for SFTP connection to our HP-UX Open SSH version 3.9
servers.  This is the first time having connections problems.  The new
Window 2003 server is in a DMZ zone and our security policy software has
been set to allow port 22 to pass in/out for our HP-UX servers.    I
have the sshd_config file the same as the non-DMZ Windows servers.

What is strange is if I stop the OpenSSH service on the Windows server
and execute \usr\sbin\sshd -d -d -d and try the SFTP connection from the
HP-UX server; it works.

If I start the OpenSSH service on the Windows server the logs show that
the keys are accepted, but the connection is closed immediately.  I have
provided the debug log from the HP-UX connection side.

Larry Griswold
OpenVMS / HP-UX System Manager
Comm. College of NH / System Office / IT
Concord, NH
603-271-3998

 <<cannon_sftp_close_connection.txt>>

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from
disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any
dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including
any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal
records. Please then delete the original message (including any
attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.