Enabling ServerAliveInterval by default

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Sat Dec 15 09:30:00 EST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Nadav Har'El wrote:

[..]
> Is there a reason why OpenSSH shouldn't enable ServerAliveInterval in the
> default client configuration, with some interval of, say, 120 seconds?

Because that is a packet every 120 seconds that isn't required for me and
for most people with sane NAT timeouts or accessing local servers.  It
could also increase internet costs for those under "Per-Meg" payment
plans.

Same is true with ClientAliveInterval.  They exist to resolve a problem
that someone may have, but I'd hate to see the extra traffic by default on
my work LAN/WAN where it isn't required.

- Ben