Enabling ServerAliveInterval by default

Philip philip at yarra.no-ip.org
Mon Dec 17 12:24:43 EST 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007 11:15:06 William Ahern wrote:
> I would hope that you also made a pass at trying to convince them [not to
use evil stuff]

In the position where I mainly encountered such problems, we had to consider:
- language barriers - I only speak English, which makes it hard for me to
communicate the issue
- political issues - inter-departmental, vendor/purchaser, international
- "face" issues - senior admins often don't take kindly to some foreigner
telling them how to do their jobs
- competence issues - often, Windows admins have had Unix boxes foisted on
them with little or no training
- type of network connection - the admins are usually on the same LAN as the
SSH hosts, so they never see the problem themselves

I agree, we should try to get everyone to do The Right Thing, but sometimes it
just isn't going to happen. Sensible defaults are useful in such cases
(defining "sensible" is going to be the problem here, I suspect).

On the bright side: I don't do that job any more.

Regards, Philip.