Patch to fix the 255 status code problem

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Feb 1 05:01:34 EST 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, tim.mann at bt.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I'm having problems with  a dataguard deployment using Oracle 8.1.7.4. I
> found an article on Metalink which seem to explain the problem I was
> having. It states that with openssh (on Solaris) it returns status code
> 255 for a successful execution and this is interpreted by dataguard as a
> connection failure.

My guess would be that dataguard is exiting abnormally. Exit code 255
is returned when the child process exited due to reception of a signal
(including crashes due to SIGSEGV/SIGBUS/SIGABORT):

[djm at fuyu djm]$ ssh localhost false ; echo $?
1
[djm at fuyu djm]$ ssh localhost true ; echo $?
0
[djm at fuyu djm]$ ssh localhost 'sh -c "kill -SEGV $$"' ; echo $?
255

SSH protocol 1 has no way to signal that the child process terminated
abnormally.

-d