X forwarding: trying to forward to busy local port

Lars Kruse kruse at silicann.com
Tue Feb 6 00:38:50 EST 2007

Hi,

> Do you have X11UseLocalhost set in sshd_config?  If so, what does
> "localhost" resolve to?
the setting "X11UseLocalhost" is not defined in our sshd_config - so it
should be the default value "yes".

 jackdaw:~ # grep localhost /etc/hosts
 127.0.0.1       localhost
 ::1             ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

So "localhost" should resolve to the ipv4 address.

> If you can afford to do so you could try running without the ipv6
> stack loaded.
good idea!
I tried it ("AddressFamily inet") successfully: now busy ports are
skipped (as expected).

Maybe the ipv4 port should be checked in x11_create_display_inet, too?
(if "AddressFamily" is "any")
As I do not speak "C" fluently, I am unable to suggest something -
sorry ...

thanks a lot for your suggestion!

regards,
Lars