X forwarding: trying to forward to busy local port

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Feb 15 07:23:32 EST 2007

Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Darren Tucker wrote:
>
>> The wrinkle is that some xlibs (or xauths?) do special things with the
>> string "localhost", eg map it to a Unix domain socket.
>
> This isn't so, except perhaps for some proprietary X implementations.  In
> fact, display names of "localhost:<n>", instead of ":<n>" force the use of
> TCP/IP.  This is so for both XFree86 and X.Org.

That's interesting, because it means there's something going on here
that I don't understand.

When X11UseLocalhost=yes, sshd adds a unix: cookie and sets DISPLAY to
"localhost:n.0"

So for example, on OpenBSD-current, when I logged in sshd ran this:

xauth add unix:10.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 f270ce6e3b353e5ad8070b4ecab4c604

and after I logged in I see this:
$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0
$ xauth list
quoll.dtucker.net/unix:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
f270ce6e3b353e5ad8070b4ecab4c604

So when I run "xterm" how does it find the right cookie given that
$DISPLAY and the xauth data are not identical?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.