X forwarding: trying to forward to busy local port

Lars Kruse kruse at silicann.com
Mon Feb 19 22:06:44 EST 2007

Hi,

> > Could it be, that the return value of the DISPLAY setting does not
> > depend on the acquired sockets for now? (always returning an ip4
> > address)
>
> For X11UseLocalhost=yes it always uses a string of "localhost"
> (session_setup_x11fwd in session.c).
>
> Potentially it could either get the address family from
> x11_create_display_inet, or maybe call getsockname on the socket and use
> that (provided "::1:0" is a valid display name, I have no idea if X
> would choke on that).

the ipv6 address does not seem to be a problem for DISPLAY - see
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.openssh.devel/13384

> The wrinkle is that some xlibs (or xauths?) do special things with the
> string "localhost", eg map it to a Unix domain socket.

According to Marc Aurele La France
(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.openssh.devel/13385) this
does not seem to a problem for xorg/xfree86, too.

Maybe I get something wrong, but for now the setting "AdressFamily any"
seems to severely degrade the reliability of X-forwarding setups.
Did someone already file a bug report for this behaviour? I could not
find any. Otherwise I would like to do create one.

regards,
Lars