SFTP: a new command to get filesystem size/free space

Jason Mobarak deadbeefbabe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 03:10:44 EST 2007

Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> I am using sshfs with FUSE to mount a remote directory over ssh/sftp (on linux).
>
> It would be nice if df could be able to show the total size/free space
> of the mounted directory.
>
> I am aware that returning size/free space would have some limitations.
> For example, if a subdir of the mounted directory has another
> filesystem mounted on the remote server, this can not be represented
> simply.
>
> However, I still think that a simple implementation could be useful.
> My idea is to simply return the total size and free space of the
> current working directory.
>
> Would you accept patches implementing this?

I don't speak for the OpenSSH team but given the history of previous
random patches I doubt it will be accepted in any fashion.

> Please CC me, I am not on this list.
>
> Regards, Thue
>
> PS: does the openssh sftp implementation conform to
> http://www.openssh.org/txt/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02.txt ?  If not,
> is the protocol described elsewhere?

Afaik, yes, OpenSSH supports SFTP version 3, and probably won't support
anything else anytime soon.

Your feature can probably be easily implemented via the SSH_FXP_EXTENDED
message.  Though an SSH subsystem for drive metrics might be interesting.

-- Jason