X forwarding: trying to forward to busy local port

Lars Kruse kruse at silicann.com
Tue Feb 20 22:05:59 EST 2007

Hi,

>> Maybe I get something wrong, but for now the setting "AdressFamily any"
>> seems to severely degrade the reliability of X-forwarding setups.
>> Did someone already file a bug report for this behaviour? I could not
>> find any. Otherwise I would like to do create one.
>
> Anyone know if there's an IPv6 equivalent to Linux's
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range (equivalent to the
> 'net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range' sysctl)?  Under IPv4, this twiddles the
> port range available when connect(2)-ing without specifying the local
> endpoint's TCP port number.

that is a good hint - this workaround would help to avoid the use of
the critical poprts around 6000. I applied it here. Thanks!

But still the ipv6 support of openssh seems to be broken, as the
DISPLAY setting always returns the hardcoded ipv4 address "localhost".
This makes it impossible to use a pure ipv6 setup, right?

regards,
Lars