What would cause keyboard-interactive packet connection close

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed Feb 28 01:38:42 EST 2007

> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
>
> > 	I've got a remote system that was down and came back up. I'm
> > trying to get into the system, but when I do I get timed out. I
> > forced it to a keyboard interactive to speed things up:
> >
> > ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=keyboard-interactive -vvv tuc at 10.2.0.2
> [...]
> > debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
> > Connection closed by 10.2.0.2
> > debug1: Calling cleanup 0x804c158(0x0)
> >

> > 	What would make it close at that point?
>
> If the server is a Linux box with a somewhat dated glibc, possibly a bug
> in that:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=111045930530623&w=2
>
> Failing that, mentioning what kind of system the server is and what
> version of OpenSSH it's running is more likely to get some help.

	FreeBSD 5.X (I don't remember off hand) and it identifies
as :

OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f

	The server either locked up, crashed, or something and was
unresponsive for quite some time. A power failure rebooted it and it
seems to be running, running MRTG, Apache, and sendmail (Though, I
haven't gotten its daily emails for some reason). I get SSH to answer
and all the way to it sending the packet for keyboard interactive and
then the connection closes. It *DOES* pause for a bit at

debug1: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT

	before continuing.....

		Thanks, Tuc