proposal: new DisableBanner client side option

Jan Pechanec Jan.Pechanec at Sun.COM
Fri Jan 19 05:52:51 EST 2007

	hi all, we had quite a few requests recently so that SunSSH allowed
to hush a banner on client side when in command-mode only. The argument
usually is that the banner is mandatory due to legal reasons so first time
login users should see it but that it causes problems when ssh is used from
scripts after that. '-q' often seems not an option. RFC 4252 permits hushing
banner in section 5.4.

	we want to add DisableBanner option to SunSSH with
yes/no/in-exec-mode arguments, default to "no". It's designed to be
extendable in a backward compatible way to a comma separated list of
"in-<mode>-mode" strings if needed in the future. "in-subsystem-mode" could
be the next candidate.

	since we try to avoid divergence with upstream (= OpenSSH) if
possible I would like to ask, in case you would be interested in adding such
functionality to OpenSSH in which case I can provide a patch then, whether
this would be an acceptible syntax for both.

	thanks, Jan.

--
Jan Pechanec
Sun Microsystems