SSH_ASKPASS behavior change proposal

Lance E Sloan lsloan at umich.edu
Fri Jan 19 07:24:58 EST 2007

Hello, OpenSSH Developers!

I'm not a member of the OpenSSH development team or a member of this
mailing list.  I have a small change to propose for OpenSSH and since
the mailing list page at openssh.com indicated the general discussion
list is for support, I thought this list would be a better place to
discuss this.  Please forgive me if I've committed a faux pas.

I propose that the ssh command-line client be changed so that it will
use whatever program is specified in the SSH_ASKPASS environment
variable regardless of whether ssh has a terminal associated with it or
not.  In order for this to work, SSH_ASKPASS would need to contain the
full path to a program that prompts for a password, DISPLAY would also
need to be set, and some additional environment variable would need to
be set to instruct ssh to ignore the no-tty requirement.

My reason for proposing this is because the system administrators at my
organization do not allow us to keep public keys for ssh
authentication.  They have put a "PubkeyAuthentication no" directive in
the sshd_config file on our servers.  They have two reasons for doing
this.  First, I believe they think this is more secure.  Second, and
more importantly, the interactive password authentication on these
servers also gets Kerberos tickets and AFS tokens for the user as they
log in.  This latter part could probably be accomplished by the user
keeping their Kerberos authentication information in an encrypted file,
but it would be very hard to guarantee the security of that file.

This inability to use public key authentication with ssh makes it very
difficult, sometimes even impossible, to use CVS or Subversion clients
with repositories on those servers.  Some operations with these clients
may require several individual commands to the repository.  Some CVS or
SVN clients might then prompt the user for their password with each
command while some clients just fail.  Using a stock ssh client from
OpenSSH with the path to a password prompting and caching program in
the SSH_ASKPASS environment variable will solve the problem for most
CVS or SVN GUI clients, since they usually do not have a terminal
associated with them.

Using a command-line CVS or SVN client with repositories on those
servers is still a problem, though.  The command-line client obviously
has a terminal associated with it, so ssh would not normally invoke the
password prompting program indicated by SSH_ASKPASS.  If the user is to
run a script with many CVS or SVN commands in it, they will be prompted
for their password every time.  Besides running scripts, there are
plenty or reasons why one would want to use a command-line CVS or SVN
client, especially if the available GUI clients are broken or quirky.

As a test of my proposal, I changed the readpass.c file in my copy of
the source to look for an environment variable named
"SSH_ASKPASS_IGNORETTY".  If that environment variable is set, the
use_askpass variable is set in the code.  With that variable set
(SSH_ASKPASS and DISPLAY are set appropriately, too), when I run a
command-line CVS or SVN client against a repository through ssh on a
server that requires passwords, the program I specified is started and
supplies the password to ssh.

Currently, the program I specify with SSH_ASKPASS prompts me for my
password and can optionally cache the password in my account to avoid
prompts in the future.  It is a GUI program written just for this
purpose that I found on the Internet.  I am working on a replacement
for this program that would prompt for and optionally cache passwords,
but also give the user the choice of storing it (as the current program
does) or to just cache the password in memory for as long as the user
is logged in.

I hope that my proposal is reasonable.  I welcome your thoughts,
discussion, and critique.  (Constructive criticism only, please.)

Thank you for your time!

--
Lance E Sloan, Application Developer
Evil is my middle name.  Some people think it's Eugene, though.