support of locale

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Jan 28 05:03:52 EST 2007

Darren Tucker wrote:
> Carson Gaspar wrote:
> > I haven't looked at the source to see if sshd will pass said environment
> > along to its children or not.
>
> It doesn't, but it's not hard to make it do so, eg:

The trend these days seems to be to let PAM handle this for all login
sessions.  PAM is usually configured to load settings such as this
from /etc/environment.  Therefore I think /etc/environment is the
right place for setting the default user locale.

However PAM does not affect system daemons started at boot time.
Therefore the normal init configuration for system daemons is still
required.

Bob