sftp-server with defaultroot

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Fri Jun 8 02:28:02 EST 2007

Hello,

I searched a while to find out, if there is an sftp-server
implementation which provides an option similar to the defaultroot of
proftpd.

A typical use would be:

DefaultRoot = ~

The option does the follwing:

Once the use logs in, it determines the home directory of the user .ie
/home/u1234 and takes this as the users root. The user cannot escape
that root (he can not look at /tmp for example). Each file within his
home directory is presented without the home directory prefix (for
example: /index.html instead of /home/u1234/index.html).

This is very different from the chroot options, because there is no need
to have all the libraries and executables within the users home directory.

The projects that I found look very strange and not good maintained.
Interestingly they are based on the sftp-server of ssh.

Why doesn't the openssh sftp-server include this? Are there plans to do
it? Are there certain reasons not to include?

Regards
Marten