RFE: idle timeout/auto-daemonize combo

Wout Mertens wmertens at cisco.com
Fri Jun 22 20:33:35 EST 2007

Hi there,

I would like to have SSH connections be more "sudo-like".

With that I mean, when I ssh/scp/sftp to a host and disconnect,
the channel is held open for a while in case I reconnect.

I wrote a script (attached) that does this. It starts a master
SSH daemon for the connection if needed. Then it exec()s SSH.

Just put it in your path and use perssh instead of ssh.

It has some disadvantages though, like not killing the daemon
after an idle timeout, and failed SSH connects if the master
quits when the network changes.

There's plenty of corner cases in the script to make it
unusable as a generic SSH wrapper.

So my first RFE is an option for idle timeout, closing the
connection when no traffic has passed through for a while.

My second RFE is to make the script unnecessary, having an
option to automatically create a daemonized master on first
connect.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,

Wout.