IdleTimeout patch did not get in?

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 02:54:27 EST 2007

On 6/24/07, Darren Tucker <dtucker at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 09:05:09AM -0400, B Wooster wrote:
> > I do know about ClientInterval, but I think I need IdleTimeout.
>
> I don't see why, it looks to do pretty much the same thing and you
> can get the same effect by setting ClientAliveInterval to a large
> value and ClientAliveCountMax to 1.

> > When the laptop goes into standby or hibernates, and then is
> > re-started after around 8 hours, the SSH session gets a network
> What you need to do is remove all keepalives.  The problem is that as soon
> as the server generates any traffic (be that ClientAlive* or TCPKeepAlive)
> then TCP guarantees that that the data will get to the other end or
> the application will be notified.  Keepalives just guarantee that the
> (apparent) connection failure will be detected and your connection will
> be killed when the client becomes unresponsive.

Thanks - I'll test this out - need 8 hours to test!
ClientAliveInterval was set to 0, so that was correct.
TCPKeepAlive was set to yes - I've set it to no, and re-started server
and re-connected, let's see what happens tomorrow.
Anyone know at what interval does the OpenSSH server send the
TCPKeepAlive? It is larger than 30 minutes - I sent my machine into
standby for 30 minutes, and after waking up, I still had the
connection (this was before I changed TCPKeepAlive to no).

As for Windows keepalive, yes, there are some registry settings that
define that - but I am assuming that should not apply - since the
machine has gone to sleep, no keepalives are sent or checked -
applications like my AIM messenger (pidgin) don't get a loss of
connection. All this should be confirmed tomorrow.