sshd leaking processes

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Mon Mar 5 11:27:46 EST 2007

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with

OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-8, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006

I have a tool which I use to generate command lines for end-end
encryption through firewalls, following directions from an old
discussion on this mailing list (thanks btw). It gives me something
like this:

ssh -p 47774 localhost -o "ProxyCommand=ssh -v -v vds5.dedi.blackcatnetworks.co.uk -- 'nc localhost 47774'" -- 'echo hi'

When I run that, two sshd processes appear at the final destination
host, and don't go away until I kill them.

I am wondering if this problem is known to have been fixed in a recent
version, or if I should download the latest version and try, or what.

The end of the output I see from the above command is (note this is
verbose output from the ProxyCommand ssh, not the parent one):

debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug2: callback start
debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth  list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0
debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
debug2: channel 0: request auth-agent-req at openssh.com confirm 0
debug2: client_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_US.UTF-8
debug2: channel 0: request env confirm 0
debug1: Sending command: nc localhost 47774
debug2: channel 0: request exec confirm 0
debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
hi
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug1: fd 0 clearing O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 1 clearing O_NONBLOCK
debug1: Killed by signal 1.

Many thanks,