max cmd. length in sftp?

olle ollesson bpsr77 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 20:25:25 EST 2007

Hi,

I've found by empirical methods that there is a limit to command in sftp. In
fact the sftp client hangs after 256 characters of input.

I've tested on the following two implementations:

1) OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005

2) SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.

Both behave in the same manner.

The reason I'm askin is that we're having problems in solaris which allows
filenames longer than 256 chars long. It's not currently possible (without
the use of wildcards) to fetch these files.

Is this a client implementation limitation or a limitation in the sftp/ssh
specification?

Thanks in advance.