login shell not found "bug"

Craig Bookwalter craig.bookwalter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 05:03:17 EST 2007

Hello folks at OpenSSH,
  I recently encountered a behavior of your software (it doesn't really
deserve the name of "bug") that may be so rare that it is not worth
correcting--however, if it was corrected, it would have saved me many hours
of anguish. I recently set up a new PC with Ubuntu 6.10 and connected to my
office NIS domain. Unfortunately, when I tried to log in via SSH with my NIS
login, I always had my password rejected. I spent a great deal of time
trying to make sure that SSH had access to the NIS passwd file. It turned
out that the problem was that my default login shell in the NIS passwd file
was tcsh, and Ubuntu 6.10 does not come with tcsh installed by default. It
would have been wonderful if SSH could have told me that the reason my login
was failing was that my login shell didn't exist, rather than just rejecting
my password. I realize this doesn't happen very often, so it may not be
worth inserting, but I thought I would at least put it in your hands.

In any case, thank you for writing a program that 99% of the time I don't
notice because it works beautifully.

Regards,
Craig