setting current dir of remote shell

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue May 1 01:36:50 EST 2007

Peter Stuge wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I wish ssh had an option (e.g. -oCommanShell=/bin/sh)
>
> That would allow the client to circumvent any security policy usually
> enforced by the shell on the server, which is a rather bad idea.

Uhm...  Why?  I don't understand.  (But I can appreciate that a naive
implementation may create problems.)

Normally a user can invoke any arbitrary command on a remote machine.
Invoking /bin/sh is just another command at that point.  It will
either be allowed or it won't be allowed by the security policy
enforced on the server.  Therefore I don't understand the issue as
raised.  I don't see how in principle this would circumvent the server
security policy.

Bob