scp -t . - possible idea for additional parameter

Larry Becke guyverdh at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:50:29 EST 2007

>Yes, and...? What does that accomplish in terms of security,>specifically? I.e. what is the specific threat you are trying to protect>against?

It's pretty simple really, to not allow someone who is copying a file to go anywhere outside of the directory we started them in.

Why should anyone have to build out a hugely convoluted chroot'd environment to simply disallow someone from writing / reading from anywhere but their starting directory?   Especially if we can simply, and effectively disallow the use of "../" in the remote file path, as well as preface "./" to the remote path after the hostname.

If this *feature* were able to be set system wide, users who were allowed to scp (ie, change their login shell to be "/usr/local/bin/scp -t .") only would never be able to write outside of their home directories, unless the systems admins had configured sym-links to point somewhere else.

Using keys, you could potentially allow a user to scp files to/from another directory, without having to create additional userids.

command="/usr/local/bin/scp -t /some/path/to/write/to" .....public key.....

within the authorized keys file would do the trick nicely.

We can use this functionality today, minus the ability to lock the user into the startup directory.

A simple (I hope) change to modify the remote path params, would finish this and make it extremely easy to lock the file transfer to the start directory.