Frequent "Connection reset by peer"

Mattias Fransson mattias.fransson at ucs.se
Tue Apr 1 22:20:47 EST 2008

I have the very same problem, but in a quite different environment.

I have three machines, all using ubuntu, but different versions.
One of the machines is supposed to be a common storage for the other two to copy data to as some sort of backup.

One of the machines can connect to the "backup machine" just fine, but the other can't, receiving the exact error described in this thread.
To be more specific, both the machines can connect, but one of them loses connection in everything between 0-120 seconds.

Switching on verbose on the troubling machine I also get the:
"debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 4/5 cfd -1)

debug3: channel 0: close_fds r 4 w 5 e 6 c -1
Read from remote host ucsbackup03: Connection reset by peer
Connection to ucsbackup03 closed.
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 96 bytes in 5329.1 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 0.0
debug1: Exit status -1"

And regarding the cabling, both the "client machines" are connected to the same virtual switch (they are virtual machines), so the cabling between the clients and the server is exactly the same, yet one work and one fail.

Sincerely,
Mattias