openssh on interix

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 02:09:33 EST 2008

On Nov 30 13:21, Martin Koeppe wrote:
> On 2008-11-28, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Nov 23 02:39, Martin Koeppe wrote:
> >> The regpwd stored passwords are stored in the same (Windows
> >> standard) way as e.g. Dial-in passwords or service account
> >> passwords are stored, i.e. under:
> >>
> >> HKLM\Security\Policy\Secrets\
> >[...]
> > I now implemented this for Cygwin.  The next major version 1.7.0 will
> > come with a `passwd -R' option which is what `regpwd' does on Interix.
>
> Will `passwd -R' and `regpwd' be comnpatible, i.e. store the password
> unter the same reg value, so that I could use `passwd -R' on cygwin to
> store the password and then use it from interix daemons or vice versa?
>
> regpwd uses this format:
> HKLM\Security\Policy\Secrets\DOMAIN_USERNAME_microsoft_sfu_utility
> where DOMAIN is the PC name (=local domain) or the NETBIOS domain
> name.
> The password itself is converted to Unicode (UCS-2LE) before being
> stored.
>
> If cygwin used this format, too, users had to maintain only one entry.

Cygwin uses a key "L$CYGWIN_usersid" in the first place.  Maybe you can
understand why I don't feel comfortable to write a registry key called
"*_microsoft_sfu_utility"?  Another reason is that the SFU key is
accessible from remote.  It's bad enough that every admin (instead of
just LocalSystem) can access the key, but I'm using the L$ prefix so that
this works at least only from the local machine.

However, if a "L$CYGWIN" key doesn't exist, Cygwin looks if a
"*_microsoft_sfu_utility" key exists and uses that to try to logon the
user.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen