Progress meter

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 24 03:46:10 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 06:49:15 -0700, Ron Watkins wrote:
> There appears to be 2 different styles of progress meter. One style
> shows stars with total size transfered and time remaining. The second
> doesn't display the stars, but does provide a percent complete and
> transfer rate.  How can one force a particular style of progress
> meter? I personally prefer the one which displays the rate of
> transfer, but I don't know how to get that to display on all my
> platforms. There appears to be some variation in which platform
> displays which type of meter. Advice?

The (stock) progress meter code shows the percentage transferred, the
actuall amount transferred, the rate and the ETA. Perhaps an older
version of the progress meter code showed the stars; I don't recall.

The difference you are seeing may be due to patches that were applied to
OpenSSH on one platform but not the other, or might be due to an older
version running on one of the platforms.

What platforms do you see the 'stars' form and what is the output of ssh
-V on those platforms?

--
Iain Morgan