[openssh] Re: [openssh] Re: Frequent "Connection reset by peer"

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Fri Feb 1 00:44:52 EST 2008

> Nadav Har'El wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 29, 2008, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote about "Re: [openssh] Re: Frequent "Connection reset by peer"":
> >> 	I ran what you said, and the first one ran for about
> >> 2 minutes and then :
> >>
> >> Connection to 10.0.0.6 closed by remote host.
> >> Connection to 10.0.0.6 closed.
> >>
> >> 	And the 2nd time about 20 seconds before the same.
> >
> > If I understood correctly, what you ran just opened a connection, but passed
> > no data for two minutes. Is it possible that your router simply disconnects
> > inactive TCP connections after two minutes, in the pretext of saving memory,
> > guard against DOS attacks, or who knows what?
>
> Good point, and that reminds me: another thing to check for,
> particularly if you have links with differing MTUs, is fragmentation
> problems:
>
> http://www.snailbook.com/faq/mtu-mismatch.auto.html
>
> A dead giveaway for this problem is if you see a non-zero and increasing
> number in the SendQ column in the "netstat" output for the SSH
> connection (on either server or client end of the connection).

	I wouldn't have time to even run a netstat.

	I went back to my original dump, and verified that no received
packet had the fragment bit on. Not even towards the end that it was
expecting a fragment but never received it.

	But would the device have sent a RST if it received a fragment
it couldn't route? I'm getting an actual RST from the router on the other
end of a WDS link towards the far end laptop.

			Thanks, Tuc