RFC: ssh-copy-id tweaks

Nick Dokos nicholas.dokos at hp.com
Sat Feb 2 09:44:04 EST 2008

Ben Lindstrom <mouring at eviladmin.org> wrote:

> I'm really not that much of a fan of either method.  Both fail if the
> auhtorized_keys file has any customizations (e.g.  from="" in front of the
> key.  Something I tend to do out of habbit after moving a key up to a new
> server).

That's a problem.

> If anything I'd rather see a solution where it it looks at the
> RSA/DSA/RSA1 key proper without any prefix logic and not insert a new
> entry if it finds one (with a nice message to that effect as well).
>
> The other two solutions are to me are no better than the existing behavior
> in this regards.

I think the grep-using implementation of Jim Knoble *is* better in that
respect both to the existing behavior and to either of the sort-using
suggestions.  It avoids entering the key if it is already in the
authorized_keys file, key restrictions or no key restrictions (although
it does not produce the nice message). If it is not present, it appends
it.

Thanks,
Nick