Problems connecting with SSH2

joes at theworld.com joes at theworld.com
Sun Feb 10 02:54:15 EST 2008

Hello,

I've been using OpenSSH 3.6.1p2 for quite some time at work. We have a
firewall, and I had no problems connecting to external machines.

Today my machine was updated to version 4.1p1 and it has a problem.
When I try to make an SSH2 connection to an external machine,
everything seems to work right up to the very end:

  debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey)
  debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
  debug1: Entering interactive session.
  Received disconnect from 192.74.137.71: 2: Invalid ssh2 packet type: 192

I did some investigation and see that an "invalid packet check" was added to
packet.c a few years ago, sometime between versions 3.6 and 3.9. But I have no
idea why this now causing problems or how to diagnose it.

Can anyone help me understand what this means and how to fix it?

Thanks.