have configure generate header dependencies automatically

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Jan 10 09:11:18 EST 2008

Carson Gaspar wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> I don't know if that's helpful, but there's also the gcc -MMD option to
>> create local dependencies per compilation unit.  It's pretty easy to use
>> in Makefiles.
>
> And is entirely gcc-specific. For those of us who don't build with gcc,
> please don't. Or rather please make it optional if you do.

There has been much effort expended by many people to make OpenSSH build
with a variety of compilers (and on a variety of platforms) and I for
one would not like to see that change.

That said, I think something like that (or mkdep from OpenBSD as
mentioned in my original mail) would be OK as long as either the result
is checked into CVS (not done at build time) or is an optional extra.

The down side of this strategy is that the output of those types of
tools is usually dependent on the compiler flags passed to the tool.
Hence my "if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
solution using configure :-)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.