Clear-Text Patch? was: Re: OpenSSH 5.1: call for testing

rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Jul 10 06:45:34 EST 2008

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Ben Lindstrom <mouring at eviladmin.org> writes:
>> [...]  IIRC "none" cipher was one of the first things removed from
>> OpenSSH back when it was forked.
>
> Last I checked, it's still there; you just need to add "none" to the
> list of accepted ciphers in myproposal.h.

The problem is that just adding 'none' back pushes all interaction into
the clear which is, IMNSHO, a really bad idea. While I personally think
the none-cipher switching is a reasonable compromise between security
and performance I fully understand and support the OpenSSH decision to
not include it (even if I don't completely agree with it). There is, one
can argue, a certain expectation that all SSH communications will occur
with full encryption and the none switch, without a doubt, opens the
user to additional risks. I've done my best to minimize those risks but
they're still there.

So I'll continue to make the none switch patch available to users who
are willing to assume those risks. What would be interesting would be if
OpenSSH would be willing to support the idea of cipher switching in
general - so that a user could move from one cipher to another
mid-stream. There would be no need to include the none cipher in that
list of allowed ciphers (but obviously, I'd like to build on top of an
approved mechanism).

Either way, this is OpenSSH so the dev team gets to make these decisions
- and live with those decisions. This is a heavy responsibility and why
I fully support the decisions they make regarding their own software.

The main question I have is if they've increase the number of
outstanding requests in SFTP to match the increased receive window size
introduced in 4.7.