EOL in stderr of ssh - Linux

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Thu Jul 17 05:39:07 EST 2008

Stanislaw Kaminski wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > What are your tty settings?  What is the output of this command?
> >  stty -a

> $ stty -aspeed 38400 baud; rows 44; columns 179; line = 0;
> intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
> eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
> rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V;
> flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
> -parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
> -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl
> -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel iutf8
> opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
> isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
> -echoprt echoctl echoke

I was looking specifically at the output post processing settings
(opost) and it looks normal to me.  In particular onlcr says to
translate newlines to carriage return-newline pairs when processing
output to the terminal.  It is set normally.

However this was probably a silly question because this governs output
to the terminal and not I/O through to a pipe.  Therefore this really
wouldn't have anything to do with the characters actually output when
they are directed into a pipe.  Sorry for the distraction.

> > What is the output of this command?
> >
> >  echo ABC | od -tx1
>
> $ echo ABC | od -tx1
> 0000000 41 42 43 0a
> 0000004

Again, this looks normal to me.  But again, the question was probably
just a distraction.  Oh well.

Bob