SSH authentication order on AIX

Jason.C.Burns at wellsfargo.com Jason.C.Burns at wellsfargo.com
Sat Jul 26 06:11:23 EST 2008

Frank,

I don't know if this is the correct list for this question (you are correct,
it is an OS issue, not an ssh one), but just as a quick answer to your
question, you should be able to define the order in /etc/security/user in
the "default" stanza.  Look for the value of "SYSTEM".  If you are using
Quest's VAS product, it should say something like "VAS or compat".  This
will normally tell the OS to try the VAS module first, then the compat
module (which is shorthand for "NIS OR files" or "files OR NIS" I can't
remember the order off the top of my head).  You should be able to switch to
"compat OR VAS" if you want local and NIS users to be tried before VAS users
and vice versa.

Jason Burns
Information Security Technology
Cryptography Services -> Secure Communications and Data Encryption