Openssh for Windows

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Tue Jul 29 01:45:59 EST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Patel Dippen-CDP054 wrote:

> So basically, I have to download and install Cygwin from
> http://cygwin.com/. Does this install the complete Cygwin or just a
> small portion like the v3.8.1p1-1 below?

By default you are given a choice as to how much of Cygwin you want to
install.  It is really an attempt to do a full "UNIX-like" environment
(command line, and library set) within the Windows enviroment.

> Are there security issues related to using Cygwin itself? The v3.8.1p1-1
> version has a Readme that states that Cygwin uses shared memory to store
> process information that is not protected.

I can't comment on this.  Others that have dealt with Cygwin more
recently can speak for it.

> How safe is the VanDyke version?

I've had no problems with VanDyke products so far, and I've been rather
pleased with their support.

> Could I use either of these on high security/ mission critical systems?

If it was me I'd look at the VanDyke solution.  One could prototype using
Cygwin, but..  Well, I've been too close to the patches that flowed in for
OpenSSH support and some of them still cause me nightmares (Sorry
Corinna.. I know they are needed, but still doesn't make me comfortable
=).

But we'ved drifted off the subject of OpenSSH.. so I'll wander off. =)

- Ben