How to make patch available to the general public

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jun 3 21:18:19 EST 2008

Filippo Erik Negroni wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a patch for the ssh client, which enables clear text password
> input from the command line.
> I want to make it available to the general public.
> Is there a place to make the patch available from, such as a wiki website?
> Shall I just post it to the mailing list?
> It is a small patch (9KB).

Traditionally small patches can be either posted to the list or posted
to a web page somewhere.

That said, allowing clear text passwords on the command line is a bad
idea, because on many (most?) systems, the command line arguments are
readable by any other process running on the system (not to mention
shell command history files).  So, please don't do that.

A better approach would be generalizing SSH_ASKPASS so it can be used
even if there's a controlling tty.  This way the password is passed over
a descriptor.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.