Default Makefile doesn't link correctly (solaris 10 x86_64)

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 19:50:20 EST 2008

On Solaris 10, I found that if $CC=gcc, and $LD=gcc, the following
combination of things will cause problems:

1. Using gcc provided by Sun to make 64bit binaries
2. Setting CFLAGS=-m64
3. OpenSSL was compiled 64bit

OpenSSH compiles up to the point of linking. Because $CFLAGS isn't
used when linking, gcc is called without -m64.
This causes the following fatal error:
  Wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

It is easily worked around by setting LDFLAGS=-m64, but I expect that
will cause problems where $LD=ld.