ForceCommand internal-sftp causes sftp logging to fail (openssh-5.0p1)

Fred Kilbourn fred at fredk.com
Fri Jun 20 10:47:13 EST 2008

Hi guys,
	I have a server setup with openssh-5.0p1 and use some users as
sftp-only chroot accounts.

	The following configuration yields exactly the result I want:
user is chrooted, logs to syslog, all is good.

#================================================#
Subsystem sftp internal-sftp -f AUTHPRIV -l VERBOSE

Match User fredwww
   ChrootDirectory %h
   #ForceCommand internal-sftp
#================================================#

	If I un-comment ForceCommand internal-sftp, syslog no longer
logs activity from internal-sftp.

	I have the <CHROOT_DIR>/dev/log setup with my syslog, and as I
said, without ForceCommand it works fine.

	I looked through the source, but am not super c savvy so I could
not see why this would cause a problem, but I think it has to do with
the -f -l arguments not getting through properly to sftp-server.

	I would be happy to provide more information to get this sorted,
let me know what you need or if I am missing something blatant please.

Thank you,

Fred Kilbourn