SSH connection hang after upgrade

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 02:14:10 EST 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 04:00:16PM -0400, John DeStefano wrote:
> > OK; thanks ... but if 'Protocol 2' is specified in sshd_config,
> > should sshd be looking for an 'RSA1 key'?
>
> Protocol is about what sshd speaks on the network.
>
> But granted - there is no point in dealing with SSH v1 keys when
> using protocol version v2. Please send patches. :)
>
> > And why would it look at .ssh/id_rsa instead of looking for
> > .ssh/identity,
>
> Because .ssh/id_rsa is the default SSH v2 RSA key filename.

Yes, but this seems to conflict with the 'RSA1' message I'm getting:
if the daemon is truly looking for a protocol v1 key, why would it
bother moving past the absence of an 'identity' key file and on to
other files (of newer protocols)?

> > which doesn't exist on my system but I believe is the file used for
> > SSH v1 RSA? Is there a way to prevent it from doing so?
>
> .ssh/identity is the default SSH v1 key filename.

Right; this much I know.

> The key thing is not a problem - that's just how sshd looks for keys.

I understand what you're saying, but it seems like the key thing _is_
keeping the daemon from functioning properly in my case.  Something is
telling it to look for a protocol v1 key, and for nothing else, and I
can't figure out what it is.

> I'm afraid I can't provide any good suggestions about the real
> problem. :\

Me either; this is really baffling me: I can use the very same key
(and other keys I've tested) with the 'ssh' client to connect
remotely, and successfully, to other hosts.  I just can't connect to
my own 'sshd' service.

Thanks,
~John