SSH connection hang after upgrade

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Tue Jun 24 06:37:54 EST 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, John DeStefano wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>> My first recommentation is to run a sshd 5.0 client on a higher port with
>> -ddd and see what is causing it to hang on the server side.
>>
>> This will give you more useful information as to what is hanging.
>>
>> - Ben
>
> Thanks.  Let me know what you make of this:
> http://deesto.pastebin.com/f3bff0cc8
>
> I was able to restore the 'original' version via installation disc, and the
> same problem persists.  I don't know for sure, but it seems as if there may
> be an Apple-specific "hidden" configuration file somewhere, related to
> OpenSSH but not apparent in base config files.  Perhaps this needs to change
> as well with version changes or becomes corrupt.  I am grasping at straws,
> but nothing else makes sense.

Things like this bother me..

Client side:

Last login: Mon Jun 23 15:13:43 2008
debug3: PAM session not opened, exiting
debug3: channel 0: will not send data after close
debug2: channel 0: obuf empty
debug2: channel 0: close_write

Server Side:
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: PAM: opening session
PAM: pam_open_session(): Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified
session
debug1: PAM: reinitializing credentials
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 501/501

What is odd is after that Server Side commentary it continues to blast
through the code as if nothing was wrong.  Either PAM did reinitialize
right or the error is being ignored.

But what seems to be terminating the sesson seems to be the sshd's child
(the shell I assume) is dying off sending the parent a SIGCHLD.  Which is
then closing down everything.

That is all I can devine from this.  It has been too long since I've
looked at the PAM code to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not.

- Ben