openssh-5.0p1: sftp transfer logging doesn't appear to work with chroot environment [SOLVED]

john lists.john at gmail.com
Tue May 13 06:56:49 EST 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Dan Yefimov <dan at nf15.lightwave.net.ru> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2008, john wrote:
>
>  > >  What exact steps have you taken to accomplish what Damien proposed?
>  >

> > Yes sorry Dan, I should have been specific.
>  >
>  > I created a file in my chroot root called /home/dev/auth.log
>  >
>  > Then I edited syslogd to write auth log to that location and restarted syslogd.
>  >
>  It was wrong yet from this point. You should have created directory named 'dev'
>  located right in your chroot directory. No syslogd.conf editing was necessary.
>  After that you should have reloaded your syslogd with additional
>  '-a <path_to_your_chroot_directory>/dev/log' parameter. And that's all!
>  --
>
>     Sincerely Your, Dan.

Sorry for the delayed response,

Dan and Peters pointer to using the syslogd -a option worked well.
This is solution is fine for us, if a bit arcane. Since I can imagine
this being a frequent request/complaint/misunderstanding about the way
chrooting works with sftp it might save people a lot of time in the
future if the man page gave a little note and example of how to log
from within an sftp chroot.

Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it!

John