Trick user to send private key password to compromised host

Dan Yefimov dan at nf15.lightwave.net.ru
Wed May 21 00:01:42 EST 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Damien Miller wrote:

> Fixing this is not as simple as putting a "you are now authenticated"
> message somewhere. Keyboard-interactive authentication can display
> arbitrary prompts, so a compromised server may display the spoofed
> question prior to authentication success.

Sure, but IIRC we consider the case of requesting the private key passphrase
for public key authentication. As soon as public key authentication succeeds
and the client displays "Authentication succeeded" message, any other
passphrase prompts can be certainly assumed to be bogus ones.

> Furthermore, in a ttyful environment, connections any warning message
> can be erased through terminal manipulation.

Sure again, but that could be to some degree worked around by using bell
character in "Authentication succeeded" message and documenting that. For
keyboard-interactive prompts, as a countermeasure, control characters can be
either quoted or even stripped before displaying prompts.

> A so-compromised server could also pretend to fail pubkey authentication
> entirely and ask for the user's password, which seems to be a more grave
> threat (and completely impossible to defend against from the client side).

Nothing can completely defend against compromised host actions. But displaying
a message that public key authentication has failed can at least give careful
user a hint that something is going wrong. Something is better than nothing.
--

    Sincerely Your, Dan.