ssh implementation

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Wed May 21 18:09:49 EST 2008

Hi Sridevi,

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 05:55:44PM +0530, sridevi wrote:
> hello,
> This is sridevi from ceeyes software technologies.I have a plan to
> implement this ssh opensource code and to port into vxworks-6.4.But
> there is no ssh support for vxworks-6.4.Is it possible to port the
> opensource code into vxworks-6.4.

Everything is possible, but as far as I know, vxworks is not very
similar to POSIX, which means that many of the primitives needed by
OpenSSH-portable will be missing.

Of course, vxworks probably has other ways to accomplish similar
things, but that means you have a lot of work ahead of you.

> And also i noticed that key files in /etc/ssh/.How can i get those
> related files in vxworks-6.4.Give me a suggestion regarding this.

This is one such thing. OpenSSH assumes a unixish file system. Since
(I guess from your description) vxworks does not have one, you will
have to change OpenSSH so that it can use the vxworks file system.

If your goal is to implement an SSH client I would suggest looking at
some other SSH implementation that would fit your needs better. I
know of at least two portable SSH client codebases; libssh2 and
PuTTY. While they do not have the exact same feature set of OpenSSH
maybe they can work for you.

If your goal is to implement an SSH server, there are other options,
(dropbear is one small SSH server) but I have no experience with the
source code there. There have been some ideas for a server mode in
libssh2, so if all else fails maybe that would be the shortest path
to the goal.

//Peter