ssh-agent clustering

Garry Boyce garry.boyce at eds.com
Tue Nov 25 05:02:05 EST 2008

Hi.. I've looked through all the documentation and searched numerous
websites and I can't find any viable current way to cluster ssh-agents.

The functionality gap I see is to allow a situation where 2 ssh-agents are
running on 2 different trusted machines. If one of those machines goes down
passwordless logins should be allowed to continue through the backup
ssh-agent. And when the machine comes back up the newly restarted agent
should be able to resync with the backup agent. This way 2 machines would
have to go down before passwords would have to be re-entered.

I'm wondering the implications of this kind of functionality and wondering
if this were to be implemented would it be something the development team
would be apt to consider for inclusion.

Thanks,
Garry