Issues on sshd host keys

Christian Pfaffel-Janser christian.pfaffel-janser at siemens.com
Tue Oct 14 00:32:14 EST 2008

Jesse Armand wrote:
>> The filename is set prior to being passed to key_load_private(), or You
>> would not get the following error message:
>>
>> Permissions 0140 for '(null)' are too open.
>> It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
>> This private key will be ignored.
>> bad permissions: ignore key: /path/to/ssh/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
>>

> What do you mean, by the "filename is set" ?
>
> I didn't set any permissions on the files, if there's something to be
> set before that, it must be something that was done by the standard
> Makefile.

What I meant was that the code calling key_load_private() is using the
value of filename to print the error message. But in key_load_private()
the value of filename is not the same, i.e. NULL.

Therefor I think that the addresses of the function's parameters are
incorrect, which can happen if You compile sources, patch them and do
not recompile all files that depend on the touched files. Something
similar happened to me in the past.

Regards,
Christian