Problem connecting with openssh-5.1-client to Juniper Eseries

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Sep 4 07:50:29 EST 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Jens Rosenboom wrote:

> After upgrading to 5.1, connections to our Juniper E-Series routers
> fail with:

[snip]

> This seems to be in response to the "no-more-sessions" request, if
> I disable the part of code that generates it, everything works fine
> as usual. By my understanding of the protocol, the server should
> respond with SSH_MSG_REQUEST_FAILURE and just go on instead of
> terminating the connection, can someone please confirm this?

Someone reported something similar for Netscreen:

http://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2008-August/026821.html

It seems that someone at Junpier/Netscreen has been misreading the SSH
protocol spec. Could you file a bug with them so we can figure out which
versions of their products are affected? Once we know this, and their
banner strings (yours is "SSH-2.0-2.0.12") then we can add a workaround.

-d